Automotive Technology 1
This course is designed for the students who would like to own and maintain a personal vehicle. This course covers basic car care, under hood inspection (fluids, belts, hoses), removing & replacing items (wiper blades, bulbs, fuses), cooling system maintenance, battery/charging system diagnosis, lubrication system maintenance, tire information, brake inspection, minor ignition system maintenance (spark plug, wires, firing order), car buying, car insurance, and service information.
- Common Core State Standards for Literacy in All Subjects
- Common Core State Standards for Mathematics — Standards for Mathematical Practice
- National Automotive Technician Education Foundation (NATEF) Automotive Service Technician Maintenance and Light Repair (MLR) Level Standards
- Summative assessments for each unit, both written and practical quizzes.
- Comprehensive Final written exam.
- Completion of Mechanical Safety units as assigned.
Course Outline (including Unit(s) of Time and Essential Questions):
Unit 1 Safety, Tools, and Basic Skills Review (10 hours)
- What basic safety information do I need to know to safely perform basic automotive maintenance and repair?
- What are the basic tools do I need to know how to use to perform basic automotive maintenance and repair?
Unit 2 Basic Internal Combustion Engine Operation (12 hours)
- What do I need to know about an internal combustion engine?
- What do I need to know to start an air-cooled gas engine?
- What do I need to know to identify the 4 strokes of an engine?
- What do I need to know to check proper valve and spark timing?
- What do I need to know to change oil and spark plug and start an air-cooled engine?
- What do I need to know to perform cylinder compression test?
Unit 3 Engine Mechanical, Cooling and Lubrication (9 hours)
- How do I find service information?
- What do I need to know to change the oil and filter, the drive/serpentine belt and the radiator hose and thermostat and perform a vehicle safety inspection?
- What do I need to know to make common fastener and thread repairs?
- What do I need to know to identify hybrid vehicle internal combustion engine service precautions?
Unit 4 Understanding Automotive Electrical Systems (9 hours)
- What do I need to know about the electrical lighting in the car?
- What do I need to know about the proper way to use jumper cables to start a car?
- What do I need to know to maintain the car battery?
- What do I need to know to read wiring diagrams, wire a car radio and speakers, and test the wiring?