Students will learn the importance the government places on taxes, learn about very large numbers, and will learn where tax money is spent.
- Learn how to say large numbers
- Learn where tax money is spent
- Be able to calculate and show taxes as a percentage
- Modify these percentages based on personal preference
Ideas For Teaching:
- Encourage Students to discuss what areas of expenditures are important to them
- Instead of looking at the entire budget, let them focus on specific areas, such as defense, welfare, or education.
- When they are setting up their own budget remind them that money can’t only go to what we want, this is a big country with many different people.
- Discuss what parts of the federal budget should be a state expense, and what other expenses should be added.