Students will use fractions, unit conversion, markup, and unit sales as they create a menu and associated recipes for a restaurant. They will calculate cost of cooking, sales prices, and basic costs of running a restaurant.
- Research and produce recipes for various foods.
- Increase the ingredients proportionally to match the required servings.
- Design a menu and price per serving based on a percent markup.
- Estimate profits of the restaurant.
Math Skills Being Utilized
- Multiply Fractions
- Unit Price Calculations
- Converting Units
- Using Percentages
- Sales and Markup
Ideas For Teaching
- Have students bring in sample menus from restaurants.
- Compare prices from different places that serve the same foods.
- Compare the costs of the ingredients from different stores.
- Compare two different recipes for the same food. Try to determine if the difference is proportional, or is an actual change in quantities.