This lesson will introduce and teach how to save money by planning how you plan for meals and buy food.
- Understand the basics of a healthy diet.
- Plan menu’s and estimate food costs.
- Calculate unit costs.
- Explain and demonstrate usage of advertisements and coupons.
- Setup a food menu that will be healthy while maintaining lower food costs.
Math Skills Being Utilized
- Calculating Unit Price
- Fractions, Percents, Ratios
- Critical Thinking
Ideas for Teaching
- Encourage students to discuss meal plans and to go shopping with their parents.
- Invite a nutrition expert to talk to your class.
- Gather ads from local grocery stores and let the students compare price.
- Have students work in groups of 2 or 3 for higher quality projects.
- Pay students a bonus if they are willing to present their menu in class.
Course Pacing Guide