Students will be introduced to drawing home floor plans. Students will design a home floor plan based on certain square footage requirements and will calculate the cost and material requirements for various home remodeling projects. Calculations will include interior and exterior of homes.
- Create drawings of home floor plans.
- Calculate areas, perimeters, surface areas, and volumes.
- Calculate costs of carpet, baseboard and paint from measurements derived from the home designs.
- Create landscape design or a home.
- Calculate square footage and perimeters of yards.
- Calculate material costs of various landscape projects.
Math Skills Being Utilized
Ideas for Teaching
- Show students different home plans.
- Plan a field trip to some open houses.
- Have students visit local hardware stores and price other items they may want to put in their homes.
Course Pacing Guide