This lesson expands the concepts of unit sales and percents by teaching students how to create a pricing model for a popcorn company.
- Research and develop costs of ingredients for popcorn.
- Calculate serving costs for a bag of popcorn.
- Determine the sales price of the popcorn and profits.
Math Skills Being Utilized
- Multiply digits and decimal, addition and subtraction.
- Unit price calculations.
- Using percentages.
- Sales and markup.
Ideas For Teaching
- Have students bring in various popcorn packages and prices from local stores and movie theaters.
- Run experiments to determine how much popcorn is actually made from raw popcorn kernels.
- Design an actual fund raiser selling popcorn. Have students calculate and project the money that would be earned, then compare calculated with the actual profits.